Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Blow fly

Sep 28th, amidst a long weekend, and on a Ayudha pooja day, decided to cycle to Hoskote lake. The lake had some water....and I spent one hour looking around.....there was promise behind every bush, and secrets beneath the stones.

And, as I was gearing to start back, chanced upon these two fly on a twig. They sat there without flying away though I took hazzar macro pics.

Blow fly - the metallic body strikes you - the red & yellow in the head also stands out. These chaps can smell dead matter & dung for miles....I read 10 miles somewhere.....and the first thing they do is to lay an egg on it.....and soon start eating away the matter...the smell soon disappears.....the maggots hatch....and immediately start eating the decomposing matter...


This immediate egg hatching ability is made use by forensic detectives. Body found - highly decomposed - when was the murder committed ?? after 72 hours, it gets difficult, thats where the forensic entomologist steps in. And, figures out which developmental stage the blow flys are. The time stages of the developmental cycles are quite deterministic. And now, its 2+2 for Mr. Sherlock Holmes!

Next time, you see dung or dead matter, watch out for the blow flys and thank them for their good work!

2 comments:

sunand sampath said...

lovely , good to see you back into business

Anonymous said...

Brought back my EX Husband Today was successful Love story of my Life when i was searching Randomly Online for Love tips to solve problem Am having in my Relationship Affairs i don`t believe in Miracle until i saw DR.AGBAZARA TEMPLE contact (agbazara@gmail.com) OR Tel (+2348104102662) , he Find a solution to my relationship problem and make it look better for me , Now am living happily with my Lover who left me before for another lady. Big Thanks to you Dr Agbazara if you need help in your Relationship please do contact him today on these details: agbazara@gmail.com OR call him on +2348104102662 and see for your self what i am talking about..

Cynthia from UK.