Monday, July 10, 2006

Without You

My pillow gazes upon me at night
Empty as a gravestone;
I never thought it would be so bitter
To be alone,
Not to lie down asleep in your hair.

I lie alone in a silent house,
The hanging lamp darkened,
And gently stretch out my hands
To gather in yours,
And softly press my warm mouth
Towards you, and kiss myself, exhausted and week -
Then suddenly I'm awake
And all around me the cold night grows still.
The star in the window shines clearly -
Where is your blonde hair,
Where your sweet mouth ?

Now I drink pain in every delight
And poison in every wine;
I never knew it would be so bitter
To be alone,
Alone, without you.


-Hermann Hesse

German ----> English
James Wright

1 comment:

H. S. Sudhira said...

Nice one Akash!
You may also be interested in Herman Hesse's famous work, "Siddhartha"! Check that out as well!